How To Make Money In Your Free Time With At Home Tutoring
Are you looking for a way to increase your income? Do you want more flexible working hours so you can take care of your family?
The best online tutoring jobs offer a great opportunity to students, stay at home parents, and people who want to enjoy a flexible lifestyle so they can have a custom-made job that pays well.
At the same time, they can work remotely so they can have more control over their lives.
In this article, I’ll explain all about some of the best online tutoring opportunities that you can try. Moreover, I’ll help you find the right one for you.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you purchase an item through these links, I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you. Please read the full disclosure policy for more info.
- How To Make Money In Your Free Time With At Home Tutoring
- How To Make Money From Online Home Tutoring?
- What Are The Requirements For Online Tutoring?
- How Much Can Online Tutors Earn?
- 15 Legitimate Online Tutoring Jobs
- 1. MagicEars
- 2. Chegg Tutors
- 3. TutorMe
- 4. QKids
- 5. VIPKid
- 6. Yup
- 7. Brainfuse
- 8. Tutor.com
- 9. GeeklyHub
- 10. Aim 4 A Tutoring
- 11. Revolution Prep
- 12. Smarthinking
- 13. Skooli
- 14. Tutorhub
- 15. FlexJobs
- How To Become A Successful Online Tutor
- Who Should Become An Online Tutor?
- Why Should You Be An Online Tutor?
- Online Tutoring Jobs For Beginners And More
How To Make Money From Online Home Tutoring?
Lots of students need help with their education. They might need some advice regarding a report they have to submit or a challenging research paper that they can’t finish on time.
At the same time, there are plenty of well-educated people who have the skills that enable them to help these distressed students in exchange for a pre-agreed upon fee.
Online tutoring is an excellent chance for students as well as tutors because they can set their own schedules and work according to their own pace. At the same time, the student and the tutor don’t have to meet so they can manage all their work remotely.
What Are The Requirements For Online Tutoring?
Many companies will give preference to tutors who already have teaching experience or a bachelor’s degree in the subject they want to tutor. Having these advanced qualifications makes more jobs available to you but isn’t necessary.
Many online tutors don’t need to have certifications or years of experience. While you’re gaining experience and expertise, you can apply to companies with less stringent requirements and change companies for higher pay as time goes on.
How Much Can Online Tutors Earn?
On average, online tutors earn between $11-$20 an hour.
Your earnings as an online tutor depend on your education level, specialty, experience teaching, and the company you’re working for. In general, the pay for elementary subjects will be less than college or specialty topics.
15 Legitimate Online Tutoring Jobs
Due to the advancement in technology, online tutoring is becoming extremely popular among students, parents, and tutors. Most people find it convenient to learn from home while being helped by an online teacher that they can reach whenever they want to.
If you’re interested in this field, you’re in the right place. Here are some of the best online tutoring jobs that you can give a try. Each job is designed to suit different skills, so check each company out in order to find the right fit for you.
Here is a list of the best legitimate online tutoring companies:
- Chegg Tutors
- Aim 4 A
- Revolution Prep
Want more in-depth information? Keep reading for my overview of each company as well as the pros and cons of their programs.
If you’re Canadian or American, MagicEars might be a good job for a beginner online tutor. You can earn between $20 and $26 per hour and your money will be transferred into your PayPal account on the 10th working day of the month.
This website is designed to help students in China. The service is provided to students ages 4-12 and signing up for teaching is extremely easy. You can simply write your name and email and you’ll immediately be able to teach and help others.
Each interactive classroom is made up of 1 up to 4 students, talking and interacting to learn the basics of the English language. You can set your own working hours which is a big plus, especially if you’re still giving online tutoring a try.
You’ll need to have a bachelor’s degree and proof of experience before you start tutoring. You’re teaching students in China, so you should take the different time zone working hours into consideration before you sign up for this job.
- The pay is high, especially for beginners.
- Suitable for beginners.
- Signing up and getting your first job is straightforward.
- Cancellation policy is not strict.
- The website is busy so you’ll wait for a few days before getting a response if you have a problem.
- Some people might not be able to cope with the different time zones.
2. Chegg Tutors
Tutoring of all levels is available at Chegg Tutors. This is an excellent choice for all online tutors as all subjects are offered. The target students are middle school, high school, college students, and professionals.
If you have the needed experience, you can easily join the website. Moreover, it offers jobs to college and university students as long as you can provide proof that you’re currently studying for a 4-year certificate.
If you can present proof of your current or previous studies, in addition to your school scores, you’ll be immediately hired to provide educational assistance to struggling students. You can apply from anywhere in the world as all nationalities are welcomed, as long as you have the needed knowledge to offer online tutoring.
Once you sign up, the website will start assigning students to you. As you work more, you’ll be able to improve your score and build your reputation. This means that you’ll get more online opportunities.
The pay rate is $20 per hour, and you’ll receive your money every week via PayPal. The more specific your academic discipline is, the more money you’re likely to make.
Although some platforms offer a higher salary, this is an excellent place to start your journey as an online tutor.
- Available for students and beginners.
- You choose your favorite subjects.
- Earn more money as you become more experienced.
- Available for all levels of students.
- Less money than other platforms.
TutorMe is another helpful online platform that connects struggling students with the right people who can offer academic assistance. Signing up is extremely easy and is suitable for beginners and first-timers.
Start your application and write down information about yourself and your education. You should select the subjects that you’ve mastered while you were studying or the subjects you taught as a teacher if you have any teaching experience.
After that, the website will start connecting you to students who are looking for someone who can help them with their homework tasks, essays, assignments, and lessons.
You should have some previous teaching experience if you want to apply for an online tutoring job. The working hours are extremely flexible as you get to set your own schedule. All subjects are available and you’ll be working with student levels K to 12.
The two-way rating system allows students to rate you so you can get more jobs as you gain experience. However, this also means that a disgruntled student might give you a bad rating, affecting your overall score.
You’ll receive a beginning salary of $16 per hour, paid every week via PayPal. The hour is calculated based on the number of minutes spent with each student, as long as it exceeds 5 minutes. This is quite low compared to other online tutoring jobs but is still good enough, especially for a beginner.
- Easy and fast signup.
- The website connects you with students.
- As your rating increases, you’ll get a better rate.
- You’re paid every week.
- The two-way rating system might affect your overall score.
- The starting pay rate is low compared to other online tutoring services.
QKids is another website dedicated to Chinese learners, so if you’re not comfortable working in a different time zone, then this might not be the right one for you.
Currently, there are more than 600,000 Chinese students using the platform, so you’ll definitely get a lot of work if you decide to sign up.
You’ll be part of a big team that involves thousands of other online teachers who work together to help these students achieve their academic goals. As long as you live in the USA or Canada, and have a bachelor’s degree, you’re qualified to apply for a tutoring job.
Students as young as 4 or 5 till the age of 12, can join this website for premium educational help from native speakers. These students are keen on improving their English level so you should be proficient and fluent enough to help them understand the basics of the language.
Each class is made of 1 to 4 students and will last 30 minutes. You can take many classes per day because you’ll find lots of enthusiastic students who are willing to learn.
The website tries to match you up with the same students every single time, so you can help them improve their language through continuous practice. However, this doesn’t always work, so you might end up with some new students every now and then.
You’ll get paid $15 to $21 per hour and there is a system of bonuses available for excellent tutors. The website gives you the tools that will help you make things easier for students.
This means that you can start teaching even if you don’t have much teaching experience. There will be some training available so you can become a better online tutor.
- Suitable for beginners.
- Lots of online tutoring opportunities and bonuses.
- Short lessons if you don’t have much time.
- Training is available for online tutors.
- You won’t be always working with the same group.
The VIPKid platform is designed to offer American-quality education to hardworking Chinese students who can’t join American schools. The students’ age ranges from 4 to 12.
You can make some extra cash teaching English, as long as you’re eligible for work in the USA or Canada. You should have at least one year of teaching experience.
If you don’t, you should provide proof that you’ve been offering private tutoring, mentoring or church teaching. This job isn’t suitable for students or someone who has never tried teaching.
The interview process is a bit competitive, so you won’t make it unless you’re actually fit for the job. However, you might have a friend who can serve as your referral.
This platform offers multiple bonuses if you’re always on time, more students sign up for your classes, or if you’re teaching more than 30 classes per week. You’ll be paid between $15 and $22 per hour.
- Good pay for experienced teachers who need to make more money.
- Extra bonuses if you teach more.
- Lots of tutoring jobs available.
- You’re helping Chinese students receive the help that they can’t get at home.
- The interview process is extremely competitive.
If you’re a current or previous Math teacher, then Yup is the right platform for you. You can teach according to your schedule and help students from across the world.
This is a good place for you if you’re not comfortable working in a different time zone. You must be a US resident and have at least 2 years of teaching experience.
The website connects struggling students with a tutor. All branches of Math like Algebra, Calculus, and Geometry are covered. The student will send you a problem or an assignment and you’ll help them answer it.
You can take as many jobs as you wish per day, and you’ll be paid accordingly. To sign up, you’ll fill in the application form and take a test to show how proficient you are. After that, you’ll a trial online session that mimics a real one.
If you’ve passed these stages, the website will start connecting you with students so you can help them with their work and receive more money. The application process takes about 24 hours and you’ll soon know whether you’re qualified or not.
Once you’re hired, the application will send you a weekly schedule when you should expect students to contact you. Your rate is based on your experience and you’ll either be paid via PayPal or through a direct deposit.
- Suitable for current and retired Math teachers.
- Help students in real-time.
- Work according to your schedule.
- Receive training.
- The interview process is quite stressful.
Brainfuse has a 15-year track record in use in rural and inter-city areas where the bandwidth isn’t the best. Since their system is built for choppy internet, you don’t have to worry about having your sessions interrupted from dropped sessions or connection troubles.
They offer both on-demand and prescheduled tutoring sessions. If you find yourself with some free time, you can log in to find a student wanting a session with very little wait time.
Brainfuse offers tutroring for K-12, higher education, and even career services such as resume writing and interview skills.
They do want their tutors to have some prior experience. To apply, you send them your resume and they’ll get back to the people they’re interested in.
- A wide range of topics covered from K-12, college, and career services.
- Long track record and classroom platform that works under many internet conditions.
- Offers scheduled and spontaneous tutoring session options.
- Only hire people with experience.
- A resume instead of online application.
Tutor.com is a legitimate tutoring company that is a service of The Princeton Review. They have tutors that help military families, K-12, higher education, and corporate training.
They’re looking for tutors experienced in a wide range of topics including AP, SAT prep, and even Business topics.
To become a tutor, you’ll have to fill out the online application, pass a subject exam, and do a mock tutoring session before getting accepted.
Even though the application is thorough, you’ll get paid more than other tutoring companies with less stringent applications and experience requirements.
- Looking for a wide range of tutor specialties.
- Good for teachers who do test prep.
- A well-known tutoring company so more likely to get hours.
- Must have prior experience.
- Application process is longer and more involved than other tutoring companies.
GeeklyHub focuses on solely helping college students with their homework. This is an on-demand tutoring service and the tutors are freelancers.
How it works is a college student posts a task they need help with. Then, a qualified tutor will accept the task and help them with it. This could be explaining how to do a math problem or proper sentence structure.
GeeklyHub’s AI helps narrow down the tasks so that only the most relevant show up in your account. You can accept as many tasks as you’d like every day.
They pay well and say that the average tutor earns $20/hr. Another plus is that you can even choose Payoneer, Paypal, or Skrill as your payout method.
- Well-paying tutoring with lots of flexibility.
- On demand task-oriented tutoring instead of long lessons.
- Do as many tasks as you’d like per day.
- May not be as steady of an income stream if your subject isn’t requested a lot.
- Some people prefer teaching longer tutoring sessions.
10. Aim 4 A Tutoring
Aim 4 A Tutoring offers tutoring at their locations around the United States but also hires eTutors. They assist kids elementary through college level in the basic school subjects, test prep, and homework help.
They require their tutors to have at least a bachelor’s degree in the subject they want to tutor and some teaching experience.
The main way that you host a class is by using Skype so you must have a good internet connection and web camera. You could be tutoring kids from North America, Europe, or Australia.
- No special online classroom programs to learn, just Skype.
- Less intense application process.
- Structured tutoring blocks and not on-demand.
- Uncertain how many hours you’re able to get.
11. Revolution Prep
Revolution Prep tutors differ from most of the other companies because they are full-time employees instead of part-time freelancers. Their tutors get over 150 hours of training and development yearly.
They have a rigorous hiring process, only selecting tutors who are in the top 10% of the subjects they teach and true experts. This also means you’ll be paid accordingly.
Revolution Prep covers normal academic subjects and test prep. While they offer private 1-on-1 tutoring, they also offer homework help packages and a classroom setting up to 8 kids.
- Higher pay that’s good for experienced tutoring experts.
- One of the few full-time options.
- Continued professional development offered.
- Only hiring the best of the best so much more competition.
- No part-time option available.
Smarthinking is a web-based tutoring service offered by Pearson. Their tutors cover over 150 subjects including foreign language, essay writing, and editing.
Tutors are needed for K-12, university, and industry professional training, including nursing. To find the available tutor openings search “tutor” on their jobs page.
Tutor applicants must have at least a bachelor’s degree in their desired subject and 2-3 years of tutoring/ secondary teaching experience.
- Part-time jobs that can work around your main job’s schedule.
- Industry professional tutors that other tutoring companies don’t have, including nursing tutoring.
- Higher experience requirements than other tutoring companies so not for complete beginners.
Skooli has an easy to use video platform with a virtual whiteboard. Tutors set your own schedule, including impromptu sessions if you mark yourself as online.
Skooli hires for the traditional school subjects, 3 languages, and business topics. If you have expertise in ESL, marketing, accounting, and finance, then Skooli is one of the few companies that I’ve found covers these.
Tutors must have government issued teaching licenses and specialty certifications in order to apply.
- Good option for certified teachers.
- Wide range of subjects covered.
- Easy online whiteboard program.
- Not for beginners since education certification is required.
Tutorhub is a UK-based online tutoring company which makes it easy for parents and kids to find a tutor fast. They can set up scheduled recurring tutoring sessions or last-minute help.
They will post on their website when they aren’t accepting new tutor applications. This is helpful so you aren’t waiting around after sending in an application only to find out they aren’t hiring.
Tutorhub’s online classroom has video, the option for recorded sessions, file sharing, and an interactive virtual whiteboard.
- Allows tutors to set their own schedule.
- Good for UK-based teachers.
- More frequently will not be hiring.
- If you aren’t from the UK, then time difference will make it difficult to tutor.
FlexJobs is a great place to find online remote work from home jobs. While they aren’t a tutoring company themselves, many companies post listings looking for tutors.
This is a good option for someone who has a set of skills or knowledge base that the traditional tutoring companies aren’t hiring for.
All of the jobs listed are flexible and many of them remote work you can do from home.
- Flexible, remote work search.
- Good for finding companies that may want your unique skillset.
- Not specifically tutoring related.
- The number of jobs to search through can be overwhelming.
How To Become A Successful Online Tutor
Online tutors can work with students as young as kindergarten and as old as college students studying for their Master’s degree.
You could be a part of their homeschooling program or simply offering help with some of the subjects that they struggle with.
Some people hire online tutors to help with simple homework tasks. You don’t have to have a lot of experience, especially if the topic is easy, to offer this kind of service.
However, if you’re specializing in a specific academic topic, your students will be willing to pay higher for your services. Specializing makes it easier to become a successful online tutor with lots of clients since you’re the expert in that niche.
There are several online training programs available for tutors so you can improve your chances in this competitive job market. If you lack the needed skills, you might get a student once, but eventually, your students will look for someone who can offer better services.
Most respectable companies and agencies require proof of experience before they give you a job as an online tutor. If you work in a college to teach students remotely, you’ll probably have to finish a specific training program before you’re hired to offer academic assistance.
Some educational services require a specific qualification like a Ph.D. or a Master’s degree before you’re hired to teach online students. You should make sure that you’ve submitted a comprehensive resume that shows your experience and proves you’re a good fit for the job.
Online tutors need to have some important skills in order to be successful:
- Instructing skills.
- Active listening.
- Analytical skills.
- Comprehension skills.
- Knowledge of several learning strategies.
Most people choose online tutoring as a part-time job so they can have more time for their families, practicing sports, and to travel the world.
However, some choose this as a full-time job that allows them to work from home and secure cash while working according to their own schedule.
The Two Types Of Tutoring
There are two different styles of tutoring you can do. Which one that’s best depends on what your preferences are for teaching.
Asynchronous tutoring is when the teacher sends an assignment or a task to the student. The student works according to his own pace and sends the task before the deadline.
The student and the tutor don’t have to be online at the same time. The student might reach out to the tutor or the professor to ask for help or clarifications and the tutor will respond according to their time.
This is an excellent chance to work with an experienced tutor who lives in a different area and time zone.
Synchronous tutoring is another type of online tutoring that involves real-time interaction between the student and the tutor.
This can be done when you’re trying to learn a new language or need real-time advice to work on your important tasks. With this type of tutoring, the professor or teacher might be working with a group of students at the same time.
Who Should Become An Online Tutor?
Online tutoring jobs are different from traditional tutoring jobs because you don’t have to stay at the office or wait for your students to come to your place.
Most students prefer online tutoring as they’re depending on the computer and online services for educational help.
This might be the right job for you if you already have some educational experience.
- If you’re a retired teacher, you can share your experience with struggling students. You don’t have to work at a school or stick to class hours.
- Online tutoring gives you the chance to control your working hours and accept the number of students that you can deal with.
- Some retired teachers can sell their lesson plans to help other teachers. You can also offer online training to aspiring tutors without leaving your comfortable couch.
- Graduates can help struggling students with research papers and assignments.
- If you’ve recently finished college and are still looking for a good job, you can start online tutoring to gain some income in the comfort of your home.
Stay At Home Moms
- Some parents prefer to take time off work so they can spend more time with their families.
- If you’re a busy mother or father, you can still give your kids the attention they need while securing some extra cash for the family.
- If you’re taking care of an elderly loved one or have a medical condition that keeps you at home, you can start online tutoring where you can make money without leaving the house.
- After working for some time in a steady job, you might feel that having a desk job isn’t for you. If this is the case, online tutoring will give you the chance to work remotely wherever you are and whenever you like.
In order to be a successful online tutor, you need to work with a reputable company or agency. You should have some teaching experience or a few skills that qualify you to help struggling students.
Your talent might be a foreign language that you can help others learn or a special academic discipline that you excelled at.
There are lots of options available for students and tutors, so you’ll definitely find what you’re looking for.
Why Should You Be An Online Tutor?
In addition to making more money without having to work steady hours, you’ll be offering some of your experience to people who really need it.
Online tutoring is rewarding because you can help someone receive the education that they can’t get without additional help.
In short, being an online tutor will help you enjoy a better quality of life if you’re bored or need a little extra money.
At the same time, it’s a chance to help other people when they don’t have access to traditional education or need a little extra help to succeed.
Online tutoring can let you have a successful career without leaving your home. You can work while you’re traveling or spending time with your family.
The best online tutoring jobs won’t only help you change your life but also help others realize their dreams. It’s an excellent choice for people who feel that they can’t do a desk job anymore.
All the platforms on my list are tried and trusted. Pick one, give them a try, and let me know in the comments how you like tutoring.
- More Legitimate Stay At Home Mom Jobs
- Earn Money As An Online Makeup Consultant
- Beginner Online Proofreading Jobs
Pin For Later: